Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Lest We Forget

On this 11th day of the 11th month, I'm reminded that I never knew my paternal grandfather. He died in France in 1918. When I was going through the formative teen-age years I didn't have a father around to help me figure out the world. He was busy in Belgium and Germany. Now he rests in a military grave at Ste-Anne de Bellevue.

That's why, at today's 11th hour, I'll pause to remember those things - and of the cousins I have at the bottom of the sea near Murmansk or invalided here at home. And I'll be grateful for people like Churchill and Bush along with the Canadian, British and American fighting men who had the courage to stand up to the evil in this world and protect our way of life for the cowards and apologists who leave others to do their dirty work for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment